Navigation

Meeting Minutes

 

8 August 2013

  • HM 6.0
    • Control System: Currently prototyping for HM 5.5.
    • Filament Winder: We could use this operational to build or NO2 tank.
      • Software is running now. Joe needs to learn and teach others how to run it.
      • Machine is now in working order.
    • Injector: Currently dependent on HM 5.5 as we will scale up.
    • Launch Trailer: Need to finish the launch trailer - we cannot use our normal test bed.
      • Need an agreement from Dr. Murray.
    • Nitrous Oxide Tank: We need a qoute for a custom built tank.
  • HM 5.5
    • Control System: Currently prototyping for HM 5.5.
      • Who: Ross Gregoriev and Tori Fae
      • When: 17 August - Formula and base board ready
      • Note: Only need all data in a frame with 1 or 2 millisecond accuracy.
      • Note: Still need to figure out programming language.
      • Note: Still need someone to help with firmware / hardware.
      • Note: FIR (Finite Impulse Response) available on the board: can we use it?
    • Injector: We need a new design which includes residence time (droplet life), considers scaling up to HM 6.1 and has port geometry.
      • Who: Corina and Joe
      • When: 17 August - shape; 24 August - port holes
      • Note: Maybe we can request CFD from Jeff (Jacobs?)?
      • Note: A lot of this information comes from the convention that Joe attended.
      • Note: Oxidizer mass flow rate needs to be 1.183 lbs/s to get out desired 250 lbs thrust.
    • Test Fire: Need to be ready for this.
      • Where: Meet at the propulsion laboratory
      • When: 09:00-21:00 on 30 August 2013
      • Requirements
        • 17 August: Set up test stand (sensors, relay board, wires plugged in, computer ready, etc)
        • 24 August: Parts machined
          • Injector
          • Chamber: Joe to machine.
          • Nozzle: Steve (with Joe's help)
          • Nozzle Plate: Steve (with Joe's help)
        • 12 August: Order stock for new motor (Steve).
        • 24 August: Fuel grain needs to be poured (Corina, Adam and Alex).
        • 24 August: Linder needs to be wrapped around mandril at least 24 hours before fuel poured.
      • Who: Corina and Joe
      • When: 17 August - shape; 24 August - port holes
      • Note: Maybe we can request CFD from Jeff (Jacobs?)?
      • Note: A lot of this information comes from the convention that Joe attended.
      • Note: Oxidizer mass flow rate needs to be 1.183 lbs/s to get out desired 250 lbs thrust.
  • Public Relations
    • Funding: We will need funding lined up for next year and more tools for HM 6.1.
      • JPL: Tracy may be our contact (Steve to get email from Dr. D.)
    • Website: Tori to update website with minutes and continue to keep it updated.
    • Tours: We need to set up tours and gather ideas for where we want to go.
      • Who: Tori Fae
      • When: Ongoing - SpaceX by next meeting
      • Where
        • SpaceX: Falcon launch in September? Plus tour of facility between 12-21 October - Saturday if possible.
        • JPL: Need research on this. Any contacts?
        • Aerojet RocketDyne: Research this? Seems like maybe Corina has a contact?
        • Lockheed Martin: Research this? Dr. D. may have a contact?
        • Others?
  • Miscellaneous
    • New Shirts: We could use new shirts in 2013-2014. Maybe T shirts or something classy. Something to help bond the team.
      • Who: ??? TBD
      • When: ??? TBD - this year
    • Schedule: We need to task out responsibilities and develop a list of challenges to overcome.
      • Who: Steve
      • When: Responsibilities: 15 August, challenges: 22 August
    • Team Building: Maybe we should have a ropes course or BBQ?
      • Who: ??? TBD
      • When: ??? TBD - Before November but after new school year starts.
    • Events: Tori needs to put events in the calendar and on our website.
      • Test Fire: 30 August 2013: Test fire of HM 5.5 motor.
      • October Skies: 19 October2013
      • HM 5.5 Launch: 2 November 2013 - at FAR site.
    • EDM: Electron discharge machining tool. Expensive but it would be nice to have one.
      • Who: ??? Maybe we can convince Allen to build one for us?
      • When: TBD - Wish List Item
  • Accomplishments
    • Added Adam, Alex and Kim Chen to Google group.

1 August 2013

  • Possible new injector design. Joe is inquiring about papers from conference.
  • Make new shirts
  • Tours being organized by Tori. Including Spacex
  • Talk to Jeff (Jacobs?) about CFD for new injector
  • Add Adam and Alex to the CPSS google group
  • Kim Chen (new member) kchen10@calpoly.edu
  • Oxidizer mass flow needs to be 1.183lbs/s for 250lbs thrust
  • Convince Allen to build an EDM
  • Find a quote for a custom made NO2 tank for HM6
  • Can we use the Launch Trailer? Agreement with Dr. Murray needs to be made.
  • Ground test date tentatively for 8/30
  • Test setup in place in the Prop Lab by the 17th
  • Injector shape determined by 17th. Holes can still be TBD
  • Order Stock for new motor by the 10th
  • Parts manufactured by the 24th
  • Email Tracy from JPL for funding.
  • October 19th is October Skies
  • 2nd of November for launching HM5
  • Potential CPSS team building exercise early in year. We need to do more besides work to bring the team closer.
  • Tasks and responsibilities need to be assigned ASAP. List of all challenges to be overcome developed as well.